Crazy Like Us
1. Spend some time in your group sharing generally about what you heard in the message. What resonated with you, and what questions did it leave you with?
2. Read Matthew 20:20-28
What stands out to you and why?
3. Jesus talks about using our power to come under people in self-sacrificing love. Talk about the practical differences between power over people vs. power under people. In what ways is power over people necessary, and in what ways is power under people essential?
4. What is your level of engagement or interest in politics? Are you apathetic or passionate, and why?
5. Talk about your experience of having a recent political debate/conversation. What was it like? Would you have trouble if a family member became persuaded by a political party that you disagree with? How would it affect your relationship?
6. Do you agree that there is a difference between what is morally right and what should be illegal?
7. Have your politics ever driven your faith instead of the other way around? How can you tell the difference? What are some good examples of each?
8. One way to put our faith above our politics is to spend more time learning from Jesus and less time consuming partisan political information. What is your Jesus to politics time ratio? What can you do to improve this ratio?
We pray that our politics, like all of our lives, be a reflection of your Son, Jesus Christ, and that our faith not be driven by our politics. Help us to love others as Jesus has loved us. May we not lose our influence and ability to share the Gospel because people do not agree with our politics.
In Jesus' name, amen.