You Have Heard It Said
Jesus and the Narrow Gate
1. After hearing the message, spend some time in your group sharing what you recall from it. What struck you, and what questions did it leave you with?
2. Read Matthew 7:13-23
What word, phrase, or verse stands out to you and why?
3. Josh mentioned that most images of hell that we have are from two fictional works: John Milton’s Paradise Lost and Dante’s Inferno. Discuss the images of hell that that you grew up with. How did they affect you?
4. In John 14 Jesus says that “anyone who has seen me has seen the Father”. Other verses tell us that Jesus is the exact representation of God’s being. Is it easy or difficult for you to imagine the heart of Jesus towards sinners as one and the same with the Father’s?
5. Some Christian scholars believe the eternal fire results in eternal death/punishment/destruction (the Soul Death view), while others argue that it results in eternal dying/punishing/destroying (the Eternal Conscious Torment view). The difference is whether or not the soul is immortal when completely separated from God. Have you heard of the soul death view before? What practical difference might it make for you as compared to the eternal conscious torment view? Are there other views of hell that you think about?
6. In the Bible, the Gospel is portrayed as someone to run to and not something to run from. Rather than running from hell, how might you run more toward Jesus this week in a way that would inspire others to follow Jesus based on the evidence of your life?
Father, we long for you to set the world right again. Thank you for your opposition to the sin and death in our lives and in the world. Set our hearts on your Son Jesus who saves us. Amen