You Have Heard It Said
1. After hearing the message, spend some time in your group sharing what you recall from it. What struck you, and what questions did it leave you with?
2. Read Matthew 7:24-29
What word, phrase, or verse stands out to you and why?
3. What background do you have, if any, with the Sermon on the Mount? Have you ever heard of or considered yourself a “Sermon on the Mount Christian”?
4. Discuss what you think it means that Jesus “taught as one who has authority”. In what areas of your life is it easier to see Jesus as your authority? In what areas is it harder?
5. Who do you say that Jesus is? Savior? Lord? Teacher? Other? How does this view of Jesus impact your day to day life? Is there a recent practical example?
6. Putting Jesus’ words into practice is like building on rock. What would it look like to put one of Jesus’ teachings into practice this week? Pick one and run with it!
7. Read the entire Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7) this week if you can.
8. Don’t eat that donut.*
*Unless you are allowed to cheat once in a while :)
Gracious God, would you make me aware of my reasons for resistance to your teaching, and give me the courage and wisdom to put them into practice.